Wednesday 29 December 2010

Wednesday 22nd DEC - part 2. Welcome to the World, Alexander William

The first thing I see is DH holding our baby boy.  I remember feeling amazingly happy and smiling up at them both. Another immediate thought that came to mind is "Thank God I made it".  I feel no pain.  DH later told me I was talking a load of gibberish - just an after effect of the GA.  We already had decided on his name, months earlier. Alexander just becuase we like it and can shorten it to Alex and William was my Grandads name even though he prefered to be known as Arthur and also after DH's Uncle Bill who we lost to Cancer.

Apparently they made the first incision at 3.21pm and he was born 3 mins later at 3.24pm

After a short time in recovery we go to HDU where the three of us spent the next few hours. I have fond memories of this time, felt so relaxed and relieved that everything went well. I lost only a minimal amount of blood - 600mls which is normal for a Standard C-Section. So all those precautions put in place werent needed. I will be eternally grateful for the skill of the Consultant and the staff in theatre that day.

Cannot help but stare at the little boy, he is so cute and perfect and blissfully unaware of the weeks leading to his birth - and so he should be.  He had a formula feed when he was first born, DH gave this to him and I do try to feed him myself in HDU but theres no milk yet.

I get given a jug of iced water which DH lets me have with a straw and it tastes like the best drink I have ever had. I had been nil by mouth since midnight the night before and have never known thirst like it. I also get toast and jam which is just perfect.  BP is taken by a machine every 15 mins, seems okay. I have a catheter in so least dont worry about having to go for a wee.

Alexander is in the bed with me for cuddles. He looks like his big sister did when she was first born. He pulls some funny faces and he just seems so small.  Actually for 36weeks +6 days he is a good size at 7lbs 1oz.

I have access to a morphine trigger shot but I dont use it. I cant feel any pain at all.  I get a lovely wash and freshen up and get to brush my teeth helped by a lovely maternity nurse and get my own nightshirt on which feels lovely.   At about 10pm they decide I can be transferred back to the ward. A porter comes to take me in a wheelchair - I am able to edge over the side of the bed and sit up with help slowly.  I dont feel dizzy or anything which is great. A midwife pushes Alex in his cot, DH carries my bag and off we go to the ward. I am taken back to the same one thank goodness but am put in a 4 bedded room with other mums and newborns.  I am so happy, I just cannot believe I am here with my baby after all these weeks.

Its about 11.15pm when DH goes home for some much needed sleep.

I dont sleep much that night. Me and baby have skin to skin contact to bring his temp up a little bit as he is a little bit cool. Its lovely - his little head is poking out of the top of my night shirt and we stare at each other, his eyes blinking up at me. I doze off in the early hours and so does he.  His temp reaches the right level and he sleeps in his cot next to me.

Welcome to the world Alexander.

No comments:

Post a Comment