Monday 13 December 2010

DDs birthday party day - sun 12th

Wake up early - about 5 and just cannot get back to sleep. Am thinking about DDs party today and just hope it all goes well. I dont think she will miss me too much as its at Gullivers land splash zone and its all catered for - 12 of her friends going so I expect her to be too busy bossing everyone about and having fun.  I doze off again until about 8am and then have breakfast. Then I cry into my weetabix.  I dont know where these tears come from really, as I thought I was okay but I just cry from nowhere. Damn, I had almost managed a week too. Of well, better out than in.  DH phones while I am tearful and he obviously feels a bit helpless - he says there is no way I can come to the party. I know this, I dont want to go its took risky and too far from the hospital.

Anyway I am fine after a while and they do my obs. Bit of protein in the wee this am and my BP is very high - about 150/95. The 95 bit is the worry. So they put me on 4 hourly BP checks. Lovely, lets chuck in a bit of pre-eclampsia to go with the previa while I am here.

They also take out the ventflon - this is number 5 since I have been here and its been in 6 days so has become blocked and sore around the bit where the needle goes in. Midwives dont replace these- a doc or SHO has to do it.  Its a hateful procedure - for some reason my veins in my hands are quite deep which makes it harder to do. And what they mean when they say "here comes a sharp scratch" is brace yourself girl cos this is gonna bloody hurt. Something nice to look forward to later when they put a new one in.

The 4 hour BP checks fortunately come to nothing - by late evening the BP has settled to normal again. Phew.

I get a photo text commentary from DH at the party and everyone has arrived and DD has a ball. Have lunch at 12 - Lamb Rogan Josh which I know I will pay for later with indigestion but is a necessary evil as am starting to get a bit constipated (TMI sorry). Piles is not on my Christmas wishlist.

Its so quiet on the ward - only about 7 ladies here - 22 beds is the capacity. But that isgood for me as I ask the m/w nicely and they agree for DH and DD to come and see me at 3pm - 2 hours ahead of normal visiting hours. We have a lovely visit and I get to hear aout the party, she opens a few pressies and we much birthday cake.  DH is visibly knackered and relieved that its out of the way, one less important thing on his list to get done.  The bathroom is coming along but still lots to do. Mike is tiling at home so the bath can be used soon.  They go at about 4.30pm

Then comes the ventflon experience. OMG, terrible. Some ham fisted doc, not sure what grade he is but he butchers my left hand with 2 failed goes - I really cannot look when they do it so thankfully do not see the extent of the cock up but when I look later my hand is covered in blood. To be fair he is very apologetic but I really dont want him to have a 3rd go.  He phones his boss who sends an anaesatist to do it as they are obviously more experienced. Thank God he does it first time in my right hand. Still hurts though and the tube thing that inserts into the vein is down far enough to be at the edge of my wrist joint which now has rendered my wrist immobile. Both hands throb for the rest of the evening.

Surrender to TV - the actual x factor final is on..........Matt wins it, shame - I was rooting for the boy band. Take That are on - totally gorgeous. Have tickets for Aston Villa to see them next year.....yay thats something great to look forward to.

I go and make myself a cup of tea - Midwives say I am one of the family now so help myself and I eat cheese and bics in bed eat too many kitkats dipped in the tea. Small things keep me happy.

Watch Dirty Dancing which is one of my all time favourite films - I will never get bored of it. Its up there with Ferris Buellers Day Off and Blazing Saddles.  RIP Patrick Swayze......nobody puts baby in a corner.............

2 comments:

  1. Ouch re the Ventilon H. Totally sympathise they always stuggle with me 3 attempts during labour with E I about decked the aneasthatist! Hugs you may feel alone right now and low but you gotta a lot of cyber friends thinking about you. Love Niksykate from BB xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Niksykate......yes those bloody ventflons are sent by the devil. I will come back as a doc in my next life and get revenge !!!!

    ReplyDelete