Sunday 19 December 2010

Saturday 18th Dec....wot no X Factor?

Yesterday woke up at the crack of dawn but I think I wrote that already.

Had all the usual obs done. Baby is still jumping around like a crazy thing inside me so thats good. He is in complete oblivion to the trouble he is causing no doubt. Just hope its not too much of a shock for him when he is whipped out of me on Wednesday.

Slightly upsetting news today when a doc came round to see if I was all ready and just dropped into the conversation the fact that I will be having a general anaesetic.  What?  I thought it would be a spinal block. A spinal means that I am awake throughout with DH at my side and you get to see the baby the moment it comes out. This is what happened when DD was born.  But with a general, DH is waiting outside and I am obviously out of it - the baby is checked over, weighed and given to DH. Its a combination of drugs they give me and I would be awake within 10-15 mins with baby put right at my side, ready for skin to skin and feeding. Apparently the GA is much better than in the past and shouldnt leave me groggy too much.  But even so, not what I was expecting at all.  Luckily a midwife is with me at the time but the doc hanging about twittering on and I just want her to go so I can digest it.  I feel myself welling up and biting my lip but no, I cannot help the tears.  

My safety is priority once baby is whipped out and if I have a heavy bleed, vital mins could be wasted while they give me a GA so I understand the logic. The op is consultant led with more people than usual in theatre becuase the placenta is where they need to cut.  So I have to go with it and the doc says when they are prepared they can control it all which when I think about it more makes sense. And actually how frightening for me and DH to witness these problems first hand in theatre and be left with bad memories rather than good ones. So there you go.

Anyway on a more upbeat note......DH visits this afternoon. Its snowing outside so we cancel date night so he can get home in the light and he comes in the day instead. Its actually stopped snowing here by the time he gets here and nothing much was coming down n the village when he left.

He comes complete with full hedge trimming tools and cream and we get down to business in one of the bathrooms. Not our most romantic moment but very very funny. I am now ready for wednesday virtually fuzz free.  As I type I still havent dared get my pocket mirror out for a look, probably for the best.  When we come out of the bathroom we are laughing and he says "well thats you sorted out down there, Love" just as a girl comes out of the bedroom opposite. Her face was a picture - love it.

He stays for a while - tell him about the GA this but in his normal grounded way he is not fazed and says we must go with what they say.

He has bought the baby bag with him too - its getting close now.  Then my mum rings who is at our house looking after DD - wanting to know if he is on his way back yet? When I say no she says OMG - tell him to leave now. The snow is bucketing down and 4 inches already in an hour. Mike had rung to say he was stuck at the bottom of a hill coming from work and 4x4 cars were struggling in the lanes. There is no easy way into our village - its slidy lanes all the way.  So he goes and thankfully half an hour later he is home and rings me. Within 5 mins of leaving here without a flake he drives straight into a blizzard - he just about got up the worst hill but said was skidding all over the place and it was pretty hairy (but fun) he said. The village is in total whiteout. Mike has also just got back too. 

It has got quite cold on the ward and the midwifes are checking temps in rooms and the radiators dont seem to be working very well so a portable one is brought to my room. 

A new roomie arrives about 6pm. She looks quite normal, obviously not happy to be in here but okay.  Not remotely chavvy - looks rather elegant actually so I call her posh bird.    By bedtime though I have renamed her huffing puffing posh bird cos thats all she does.  I suggest she pulls the curtain for privacy if she would like to - most people do this at first, I would too but she declines but then doesnt speak either. Its a bit strained so I pull the curtain as I have to get my pjs on anyway. She gets into a strappy nightdress and gets into bed. Now I know know how cold it can be at night in here. I have 5 blankets on my bed plus my red wool blanket from home. I also wear long pjs and nightshirt over the top - not attractive but warm.  I know she is onto a loser for a warm nights sleep there.........

I watch the strictly final whilst reading the paper in bed - its not x factor but hey ho.  Struggle to keep my eyes open beyond 10, have my jab and go to sleep.

3 more sleeps after this one.......

No comments:

Post a Comment